Chester Toh joined us as a Partner in our Integrated Regulatory Practice after leaving Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in 2010. He brings with him years of cross-border and regional experience having previously worked in London, Singapore, Hong Kong and Beijing.
With both specific and broad-based regulatory experience, Chester is well-positioned to undertake, organise and assign resources for regulatory work within the Integrated Regulatory Practice, ensuring that our clients receive maximum benefit from the Firm’s combined experience, seamless informational flow and industry know-how. He is appointed Head of our Integrated Regulatory Practice in January 2014.
Chester led the Firm’s foray into Myanmar in late 2011. He co-heads our Myanmar Practice and shuttles between our Singapore and Yangon offices. As a specialist in FDI into Myanmar, he has been regularly advising a number of multinational companies and Singapore companies in their investments into Myanmar. Chester is also a regular speaker at conferences on Myanmar and has been interviewed by news channels and newspapers.
Chester is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific (2017-2022) as a Leading Lawyer for General Business Law in Myanmar who is "commercially savvy and also technically sophisticated". He is also ranked as a Highly Regarded lawyer for Banking in Myanmar by IFLR1000 (2018-2022) and is recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022) as “an expert in regulatory risk assessment for cross-border direct investments”.
Chester’s regulatory practice covers merger control, antitrust compliance and sector-specific regulation in the areas of telecommunications and media. He has also worked on a broad range of transactions including mergers and acquisitions, private equity, initial public offerings and joint ventures. In addition, he regularly assists multinational companies with the antitrust and foreign investment approval aspects of their cross-border M&A transactions. As co-head of our Myanmar Practice, he regularly advises multinationals and Asian corporates on investing in Myanmar. He has been involved in numerous projects in the country. Clients routinely turn to Chester for regulatory risk assessment when investing in frontier economies.
Energy & Projects
- Advising a multinational fuel trader on market access into Myanmar.
- Advising a global leader in fuel logistics on licenses required for trade, distribution and delivery of fuel domestically to maritime and aviation customers in Myanmar.
- Advising the borrower in a financing for the construction, installation and commissioning of a gas fired combined cycle power plant at Myanmar.
- Advising a leading international company on its proposed joint venture to construct and operate a cement plant and trading business in Myanmar.
- Advising a Singapore-listed group on a B2B lubricant distribution joint venture in Myanmar.
- Advising an Indonesian conglomerate on development of a major infrastructure and construction project outside of Yangon, Myanmar.
- Advising a Chinese consortium on a deep sea port and industrial park project in Rakhine State, Myanmar.
- Advising a Myanmar company on the development of a deep sea port in Mon State, Myanmar.
Food & Beverage/FMCG
- Advising a leading US non-alcoholic carbonated soft drinks manufacturer in an acquisition and joint venture in Myanmar.
- Advising a Japanese beverage group in an acquisition and joint venture in Myanmar.
- Advising a US listed consumer goods company on the acquisition of a factory and business in Myanmar.
- Advising a Myanmar company on the disposal of its household goods business in Myanmar to a Philippines company.
- An Indian alcohol company on a collaboration agreement for supply of liquor in Myanmar.
- A leading French FMCG player on its distribution arrangements in Myanmar.
- A leading Fortune 500 consumer goods company on market access and regulatory concerns in Myanmar.
- Advising a European diary company on its proposed joint venture in Myanmar.
- Advising a Myanmar conglomerate on a property development project in Yangon.
- Advising the developer of the secondary CBD in Yangon.
- Advising a private equity fund on investments into the real estate sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a Singapore-listed hospitality group on a hotel conservation project in Myanmar.
- Advising a Chinese company on its real estate development projects in Yangon.
- Advising a Myanmar consortium on a mixed use real estate development project in Myanmar.
- Advising a Hong Kong-based hospitality player on a property joint venture in Yangon, Myanmar.
- A hotel joint venture in Myanmar involving a Japanese hospitality group.
- A leading Asian hotel management company on a hotel and serviced residence project in Myanmar.
- A Singapore-listed construction group on a pre-cast fabrication joint venture in Myanmar.
Media & Telecommunications
- Advising a Singapore-based private equity group on a transaction in the media sector in Myanmar.
- Advising an Asia-Pacific news network on employment issues and the setting up of a news bureau in Myanmar.
- Advising a regional broadcaster in a potential investment in the entertainment sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a Myanmar consortium on a rubber plantation project.
- Advising a Myanmar conglomerate on a sugar plantation project.
- Advising a European listed company on legal requirements in connection with its proposed investments in the agricultural sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a Myanmar company on a grain bank project in Myanmar in partnership with an Asian player.
- Advising a Myanmar fertilizer company on a potential joint venture with an Indian company.
Banking & Finance
- Advised OCBC on its successful application of a foreign banking licence in Myanmar.
- Advising a Japanese company on market access into the Myanmar financial services sector.
- Advising a bank in a financing for the construction of a building in Myanmar.
- Advising a Singapore-based private equity fund on investment into its microfinance institution.
- Advising a consortium of investors on setting up a micro-finance institution in Myanmar.
- Advising a US$20 million loan to a Myanmar real estate company.
- Advising a US$32 million loan to a local Myanmar conglomerate for the development of a hotel.
- Advising a local Myanmar conglomerate on a US$20 million financing from an Asian bank for its energy business.
- Advising a multi-million USD loan to a Myanmar company for a mixed use development.
- Advising a financial institution on the use and necessity for spousal consent when taking certain security in Myanmar.
- Advising a US corporation on product registration and export control requirements in the chemicals sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a leading dairy company on regulatory compliance in Myanmar.
- Advising a payment card company on regulatory issues in Myanmar.
- Advising a commodities player on import restrictions and capital controls in Myanmar.
- Advising a US accommodation sharing platform on regulatory matters in Myanmar.
- Advising a payment card platform on the regulatory aspects of its new product in Myanmar.
- Advising a US company on product registration requirements for pesticides and fertilisers in Myanmar.
- Advising a pharmaceutical company on production registration requirements in Myanmar.
- Advising numerous foreign companies on establishment of service companies in Myanmar.
- Advising a global professional services firm on its terms of business for Myanmar.
- Advising a leading professional services firm on regulation of accountancy professionals and market access in Myanmar.
- Advising a Japanese travel conglomerate in a joint venture in the travel sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a Middle Eastern conglomerate on its acquisition of a travel company with operations in Myanmar.
- Advising an education service provider in a joint venture in the Myanmar education sector.
- Advising an Asian automotive player on importation and distribution of vehicles in Myanmar.
- Advising an Asian automotive player in respect of its entry into the Myanmar market.
- Advising a Myanmar company on its proposed joint venture with a Japanese company.
- Advising a Singapore-listed company on two joint ventures in the healthcare sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a Singapore medical group on the appointment of a representative to explore healthcare sector opportunities in Myanmar.
- Advising a Japanese medical device company on its proposed joint venture in Myanmar.
- Advising a Japanese logistics provider on market access and investment in Myanmar.
- Advising a Sri Lankan listed group in its entry into the freight-forwarding sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a Chinese shipping company on market access queries in Myanmar.
- Advising a European logistics company on government relations in Myanmar.
- Advising a Hong Kong listed company on joint venture in the logistics sector in Myanmar.
- Advising a Singapore energy logistics company on its existing joint venture in Myanmar.
- Advising a Singapore headquartered logistics company on establishing a presence in Myanmar.
- Advising an Italian aerospace company on issues arising from the use of commercial agents and intermediaries.
- Restructuring of the Myanmar business of a regional corporate in connection with its listing in Singapore.
- Advising an Indian listed company in the disposal of the assets of three of its subsidiaries in Singapore and Myanmar to a Myanmar company. Transaction involved sale of movable assets located in Myanmar, receivables and transfer of customer/ machine lease contracts.
- Advising a Swiss industrial supplier to establish a presence in Myanmar.
- Advising a Danish company on a regulatory feasibility study for establishing a business presence in Myanmar.
- Advising a Singapore governmental agency on employment matters in Myanmar.
- Advising an international events sponsorship company in respect of commercial contracts for Myanmar’s 2013 SEA Games.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Asia Competition Forum
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Associate Member, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member, The American Chamber of Commerce
- Teaching Fellow, Singapore Institute of Legal Education
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore, Corporate Practice Committee
- Expert Panel, Centre for Cross-Border Commercial Law in Asia
- Joint author, “Business Beyond Borders”, The SME Magazine (March/April 2014)
- Joint author, Myanmar chapter, Telecoms and Media 2014, Getting the Deal Through
- Joint author, “Practical Guidance for Companies Considering Business in Myanmar”, The Export Practitioner (September 2013)
- Joint author, “Investing in Myanmar – Ready for the Leap of Faith?”, The Directors Bulletin, Issue 2 (2013)
- Joint author, “Myanmar – Getting on the Road to Reformation”, The SME Magazine (January/February 2013)