U Khin Zaw is a licensed Advocate of the Supreme Court of Myanmar and joined Rajah & Tann Myanmar Company Limited in 2016, where he currently spearheads the firm’s litigation team. Having previously served as a Judge in the Myanmar Courts, he brings with him over 30 years of experience handling Myanmar court disputes.
Prior to joining Rajah & Tann, U Khin Zaw spent close to 30 years working in the Myanmar Courts, including serving as a Judge for 18 years from 1996 to 2013. During his term of service as a Judge, U Khin Zaw handled numerous civil and criminal cases spanning a broad range of subject matters, including employment of foreign labour, trafficking in persons, immigration and citizenship, juvenile delinquency, drug enforcement and forestry. He is also familiar with the internal policies and practices of various ministries in the government, including the Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Environmental Conservation and Forestry as well as the Ministry of Immigration and Population.
U Khin Zaw is very knowledgeable in almost all areas of Myanmar law. Since his retirement from the Myanmar judiciary in 2013 and receiving his Advocate licence in 2015, U Khin Zaw has represented clients in numerous civil and criminal cases before the Supreme Court and various State and Regional High Courts. He has been successful in getting several first instance decisions overturned on appeal before appellate courts in Myanmar.
- Successfully acted for a client in defending against a claim for 450 million kyats arising from a dispute over a land lease agreement.
- Successfully acted for a regional manager of a leading international supplier of steel products in an application for a revision order for a criminal charge in the Yangon District Courts.
- Successfully defended two employees of an international shipping group against alleged offences of possession and importation of counterfeit money in the Yangon District Courts.
- Successfully acted for a Singapore concrete products manufacturing company in a Civil Revision order case in the Supreme Court of Myanmar.
- Successfully defended a manager of multi-national networking and telecommunications company against alleged immigration offences in the Mandalay Regional High Court and Pyi Gyi Ta Gon Township Court.
- Successfully secured an acquittal for an employee of a multi-national beverage company being charged for murder in the Shwe Pyi Thar Township Court.
- Representing an advertising and marketing agency in defending against an application for winding up by Court.