Dr Min Thein joined Rajah & Tann Myanmar Company Limited after his retirement from the Supreme Court of the Union of Myanmar.
In his service with the Supreme Court from 1996 to 2013, he served as a Judge at the lowest Courts administering civil suits as well as criminal cases. He did extensive research works for the Supreme Court covering various legal fields including juvenile justice, alternative dispute resolution and environmental protection. He has also been involved in drafting and advising on certain new laws that have been passed since 2011.
Dr Min studied international economic law in Kyushu University, Japan. He participated in local and international seminars and workshops as a representative of the Supreme Court. He was also involved in law drafting under the supervision of Justices of the Supreme Court. He retired from office as the same rank as a Judge of the Court of first appeal in the Union of Myanmar.
Dr Min Thein has an active practice with a focus on corporate, financial, regulatory and dispute work. This includes:
- Reviewing off-shore loans facility documents for Singapore Banks namely OCBC, UOB and DBS and advising legal opinion upon collateral issues under Myanmar Laws’ perspective for foreign financial services in Myanmar.
- Advising on Myanmar law issues in respect of a number of transactions involving the International Finance Corporation (“IFC”) in Myanmar, including IFC’s investment into a microfinance entity which is a subsidiary of Temasek Holdings, as well as Myanma Awba.
- Advising for market entry which covers different types of business such as freight forwarding and logistic, microfinance, insurance, development of real estate properties, manufacturing, media and broadcasting, Hotel and Tourism.
- Regulatory compliance for employment, anti-corruption and competition, FDA registration, consumer protection, transfer and registration of immovable property.
- Dispute resolution for employment, Trademark, civil and criminal cases.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution and Myanmar”, Judicial Journal, Volume 2, Issue 8, July
- Nature of International Law”, Judicial Journal, Volume 2, Issue 10, December 2010
- Application of International Law in Myanmar before Independence”, Judicial Journal,
Volume 3, No 2, March 2013
- Application of International Law in Myanmar after Independence”, Judicial Journal, Volume 3, No 3, December 2013
- Introduction to Competition Law”, Market Journal, 2012
- Parallel Importation”, Market Journal, 2012
- Judicial Independence”, People’s Age Journal, 2013
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgments: Myanmar, Kluwer Law International BV, Netherlands, 2015
- Myanmar: The Alternatives (Litigation & Arbitration), International Financial Law Review, 27 September 2016